This photo reminds me of 80's/90's pixelated bitmap graphics___________________________________________________
Cory Arcangel is an artist who makes art at the intersection of kitsch culture and computer history. It comes through in projects like "Super Mario Clouds". An original copy of the Nintendo Video Game Cartridge "Super Mario Brothers" was cracked open, and all the data erased, with one exception: the clouds that appeared in the game, scrolling by in 8 bit serenity. This fetishism for the dusty abandoned basements of video game culture permeates his work, coming out in his musical projects as well.
http://www.turbulence.org/curators/salvaggio/arcangel.html-- excerpt from
Arcangel creates using dead media from old computer systems, Nintendo, ATARI, etc. in order to be able to work with a medium as long as it takes to master it. In this day and age 2 years equals antiquity and if Joe Consumer doesn't buy into the hype and stay current he will quickly not be able to update and keep up with the learning curve. Whew, never before in history has technology been on such a fast track. I can appreciate Arcangel's love of the old and tested. It hearkens back to a simpler time, though each age has thought the one before it was simpler, and he can take his time and explore as it isn't going anywhere and he knows it is already dead.
Arcangel performs something like an autopsy in completely dismembering and disemboweling technology to really see how it functions. As a child I had above average inquisitiveness myself (would much rather dismantle something to see how it functioned than play nice with it--drove my sister nuts until Mom had to tell her "If you don't want her to wreck it don't let her play with it!) and I can therefore highly appreciate his work.
I really love the genius behind his RAM diaries. How cool that he didn't do any real work and the computer created this work of "art" for him from reading its own memory files as video and he gets all the money, fame, and credentials from it. I appreciate it because I have always bought lots of stock in the "Work Smarter not Harder" corporation. Kudos to him for finding a niche for this work.
Arcangel is my hero! I tend to enjoy more traditional imagery for personal art tastes, but I can certainly appreciate the genius that goes into his works and therefore can view his work also with appreciation for what it is even if I wouldn't watch reruns in my spare time.
Arcangel performs something like an autopsy in completely dismembering and disemboweling technology to really see how it functions. As a child I had above average inquisitiveness myself (would much rather dismantle something to see how it functioned than play nice with it--drove my sister nuts until Mom had to tell her "If you don't want her to wreck it don't let her play with it!) and I can therefore highly appreciate his work.
I really love the genius behind his RAM diaries. How cool that he didn't do any real work and the computer created this work of "art" for him from reading its own memory files as video and he gets all the money, fame, and credentials from it. I appreciate it because I have always bought lots of stock in the "Work Smarter not Harder" corporation. Kudos to him for finding a niche for this work.
Arcangel is my hero! I tend to enjoy more traditional imagery for personal art tastes, but I can certainly appreciate the genius that goes into his works and therefore can view his work also with appreciation for what it is even if I wouldn't watch reruns in my spare time.
No comments:
Post a Comment